Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Updates: January 24th - 22 days old

Mario is continuing to make steps that put him closer to coming home. I'm sure he wasn't too thrilled by it, but he got his circumcision done this afternoon. Earlier this week, his resident had told us that we would discuss scheduling it on Friday and either have it done over the weekend or early next week. But, when she called me this morning she told me she had ordered it for today. Dom was at work, but I was there when they did the procedure and got to be right by him during the entire thing. He really didn't fuss much at all, though, he had lots of things to comfort him. Before the procedure he was given a dose of Tylenol, then he had Emla cream applied to the area to numb it, and right before the circumcision they injected Lidocaine to further numb the area. We also dipped his pacifier in a sucrose blend (sugar water), so he enjoyed that. The procedure was very interesting to watch and I'm glad I was there for it.

He also continues to make progress with his feeding skills. He took 2 full bottles (45mL each) today for his midnight and 6am feeding. The only feeding he didn't nipple any was the 6pm feeding, which was the feeding after his circ, and that is to be expected. He wasn't took excited to nipple his 9pm feeding, and that's understandable too. At the noon feeding I breastfed him for 20 minutes, then he took a partial bottle, the we tube fed the rest. He was pretty agitated after all that and we (Dom, a few nurses, and I) figured it must be because he was very full between the bottle/tube amount of 45mL plus whatever he got by breast. So, I spoke with the resident and she wrote the order that 1-2 times a day I can breastfeed for up to 20 min and then offer him the bottle. Whatever he takes by bottle is great, but we don't have to tube feed him the rest.

His weight tonight was up once again. He now weighs 5lbs, 6.4oz, that's just .2oz shy of a 3 oz gain from last night! At this rate he'll hit 6lbs before he comes home.

Tomorrow he'll get his Hepatitis B shot, which is one more step toward going home. At this point he just needs to nipple all of his feedings for 24 hours and then the tube will come out. Then they want him to nipple for another 24 hours, just to make sure he's consistent. And, as long and he continues not having episodes requiring intervention, we'll discuss doing the car seat challenge, rooming in, and a date for bringing him home. We're getting there and I don't think it will be too much longer. But, as we've said all along, it all depends on Mario and he'll tell us when he's ready.

No comments: