It was another good day for little Mario today. I know, it seems like I start every post that way, but it's always true.
The quantity he is receiving at feeds remained at 33mL, but they increased it to BM 24 today (breastmilk fortified with 24 calories). He continues to do well with his feeds and had little, if any, aspirates today (leftovers in his stomach when they check the tube prior to each feeding.
He is also doing well with his little spells. He is having fewer of these episodes and only had one today that he was written up for. And, from the nurse's description of it, it wasn't a big deal.
Dom and I both held him all swaddled up this evening while he was eating. He really seems to enjoy our snuggle time together and seems to especially like when Dom sings to him. I also kangaroo cuddled him this afternoon. Mario and I both love doing that. It is very relaxing for each of us.
Of course, we continue to be extremely active in his care. He gained weight again this evening and is now up to 4lbs, 1.1 oz, that's a gain of .9 oz from last night.
I worked with him on breastfeeding again today. We are going to continue with 10 minutes a day for one feeding for the next few days. Then we'll gradually increase length of time and number of feedings. He continues to do well with this and we're hopeful that we can progress rapidly toward nipple feedings and away from tube feedings.
He is now ready to be moved to his big boy bed. They just need to find one for him :) The nurses are looking for one. Unfortunately, they are in short supply because they are all being used right now. But there are several babies going home in the next day or two, so he should be out of his incubator soon.
Thursday, January 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment