Friday, January 12, 2007

Updates: January 12th - 10 days old

Today little Mario hit a big milestone. . .he was moved out of his incubator and into a crib, or "big boy bed" as the NICU jargon calls it. He has maintained his body temperature wonderfully. They left the incubator by his crib, as a just in case, but his night nurse will move it away at the end of her shift as long as he continues to maintain his temp, which we are all confident he will.

They increased his feedings today to 35mL/feeding and he's still on the BM 24. He has tolerated the increased volume very well, however I'm not sure how long they will wait to increase him again. His reflux apnea spells are still present, but I think they are improving. He hasn't required any assisted stims today and the number of self-stims seems to be decreasing too.

Both Dom and I spent a nice amount of time today holding him all swaddled up, both this afternoon and this evening. I also worked with him on breastfeeding. We did 10 minutes again today at one feeding and I'll probably do that for one more day. Then I'll work with increasing the time and number of times throughout the day. The little man sure knows what to do in that area. As soon as we put him on the pillow on my lap, his head turns and his mouth opens because he knows what's coming.

He gained weight again today and is now up to 4lbs, 2.2 oz. . .he gained 1.1 oz since last night. The changes in him are very evident, as we look back through the pictures. I can't believe how much he has changed in 10 short days. His cheeks are filling out and his color is less and less yellow from the jaundice. He is also awake and active at certain times of the day and responds to both Dom and I.

Tonight, he had several visitors. Great Grandma and Great Grandpa Crowgey, Great Aunt Chris, and Great Aunt Jean all came to see him. Of course, he decided he was too sleepy to be social :)

No comments: