Mario continued to do well with his feeds today. He at least tried nippling at over half of his feeds, sometimes taking more than others via bottle. He did take his entire bottle, all 43mL, at his 6pm feeding and did it in 9 minutes! The goal for him now is to take all of his feeds by nippling in 20 minutes or less.
I worked with him on nippling for three of his feeds today. We breastfed at noon and I did the bottle at 3pm and 9pm. Up until now I had been breastfeeding whenever I was there, but I want to work with him on the bottle too, because that is the criteria for us to bring him home. At 3pm he took 13mL for me. At the 9pm feed I think he was worn out because he only took about 7mL for me and he had an episode that required some intervention (some moderate stimulation and a blow-by). But, in talking to his nurse tonight that's not at all uncommon and is just something he'll grow out of with maturity. So, we're continuing to take things one step at a time. I still think it's only a matter of days before everything really clicks for him.
The little man is still gaining weight. He is now up to 4lbs, 14.4oz, just 0.2oz shy of 1lb over birthweight.
The other thing the little man has definitely mastered is pooping! This morning he even stopped rounds because they were impressed, or in awe of. . .we're not sure which, by the volume he outputs. I kind of wonder if his tummy and/or intestines are a little upset today because he was pretty gassy and had lots of volume in his dirty diapers. But, other than that he's acting very perky, so I don't think it's anything big. It could be something like the fortifiers in the breastmilk bothering his gut, they warned us that they can make the babies more gassy.
He had several visitors today. Uncle Ryan and Aunt Corissa visited with him again today, Great Uncle Todd stopped by, and Uncle Nick came to see him too.
Saturday, January 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment