Wow, I can't believe Mario is already a month old! In some ways it seems like he was just born and we just started the NICU roller coaster ride. But, on the other hand, it seems like he's been with us a lot longer. The NICU really has become a second home to us.
Our little man continues to do very well. He is eating like a little piggy and behaving himself. Now that he has mastered the standard issue bottle/nipple in the NICU, we are trying to find a bottle he likes to use at home. We tried the Evenflo bottle today with both the #2 nipple (which, I believe, is a medium flow) and the slow flow nipple and he didn't seem to care for either of those. On the #2 nipple, the OTPT (Occupational Therapist/Physical Therapist), Betsy, fed him at his 9am feeding and she said he seemed to get too much too quickly and got a little choked up. I fed him with the slow flow nipple for his 3pm feeding and he had to work very hard to get just a little out of it. So, it seems like the slow flow was way too slow, and the #2 was too much. Tonight, Dom and I went and bought some Gerber bottles (newborn size) and his night nurse will try that to see how he does. Basically, everyone has told us it's just trial and error to see what works for each individual baby. Of course, we don't want to try too many, because we don't want to confuse and frustrate him. So, we are aiming to find one that is similar to the ones used in the hospital. And, before you ask, we can't just buy the ones used in the hospital because they aren't sold commercially. They are single use nipples, unlike the standard ones you buy in the store that can be washed, sterilized, and reused.
So, other than the hunt for the bottle, he is eating very well. We still breastfeed twice a day. After each breastfeeding session today he snoozed for 5-10 minutes and then woke up acting hungry. So, I offered him the bottle and the first time he took 44mL and the second time he took 30mL. I don't know if he's not getting enough at the breast (though he latches on well and has a strong suck and I know he's getting some out), or if he is getting too relaxed and falling asleep before he's really full. Either way, we'll work through it and I'll ask the lactation consultants if they have any advice.
His weight tonight was up slightly to 5lbs, 12.4oz. Tonight was also bath night, so he's all clean now.
Stephanie, his night nurse, plans to do his car seat challenge overnight and she'll let us know how he does with that when I talk to her in the morning.
Tomorrow night, Dom and I will both be spending the night at the hospital for our rooming in. We plan to bring a laptop with us, so I should be able to update the blog during one of Mario's naps. But, if I don't, I'll do it Sunday.
Mario's nursery furniture also got delivered today. So, now his room is looking like a baby's room and not just an empty one with painted walls and a cute border. We also set up the Pack n Play in our room. This is where he'll sleep initially and we wanted to give the dogs a few days to get used to it before we add a baby :)
We're moving closer and closer to bringing him home. Keep watching for the big announcement :)
Friday, February 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment